(Sorry, non-Lost watchers, but this is an excruciatingly long post. If you're looking for Works-For-Me Wednesday, just scroll on down.)
I feel like I just watched an old episode of Murder, She Wrote: shady characters, creepy murder, classic whodunnit. Except, of course, Angela Lansbury never BURIED ANYONE ALIVE at the end of the show. Was that the creepiest thing you've ever seen? I'll be up all night thinking about it.
The episode is getting panned on the message boards, but I actually liked it. It was refreshing seeing a beginning, middle and end to a Lost episode, don't you think? And seeing another "view" of the entire time on the island (from Nikki and Paolo's viewpoint) certainly gave a sense of cohesion we often lack in this show.
A few points for discussion...
- Do you think Nikki and Paolo are actually dead? Will some greedy soul go back to dig up the diamonds and find them alive?
- That was kind of nice seeing Boone and Shannon again, wasn't it? Did anyone else think that was a different actress playing Shannon?
- Loved seeing Sun knock Sawyer's lights out. That was some good TV.
- I'm loving the notion of the formerly greedy Sawyer burying the diamonds. He's reforming! I just knew it! The bad guy turns good!
- Tell me if this blows your mind as much as it blows mine--I saw an interesting theory on the message boards a little while ago. The diamond pouch (which Sawyer kept) looks just like the black pouch the black and white stones are in (remember the Adam and Eve cave in Season One?) This theory suggests that the Island is actually on one big time loop--Sawyer hides those stones for Jack to find later, and Ben is the grown-up version of (wait for it...wait for it...) Claire's baby Aaron! I know, that makes my head hurt too.
Speaking of the Lost message boards, you need to see the list of "100 Greatest Lost Mysteries" compiled by someone with the username of HurleysChins (and that's all the info I have on this person; I wish I could give him/her more credit, because this is a fantastic list):
1. What are the Others/Dharma doing on the island?
2. What is the smoke monster?
3. Where is the island?
4. Why do all the characters seemed to have run into each other before the flight?
5. What is the "sickness"?
6. What's the deal with the 4-toed statue? Who were the original inhabitants of the island?
7. Why is Hanso (from LE) trying to infect people from a virus? (from the Sri Lanka video)
8. What/who is causing the whispering?
9. What are Walt's special powers? Why was Walt talking backwards? Why did he appear soaking wet?
10. What is causing all the hallucinations on the island?
11. Why is Desmond able to predict future events?
12. What happened to Michael and Walt?
12. Did Desmond really travel back in time, or was it just another different type of hallucination?
13. What is the big construction project that the Others working on?
14. Who is "him"?
15. What exactly was the Incident?
16. How did Locke, Eko and Desmond all escape the hatch before certain death? Why was Desmond naked, and how did he get from the hatch to the jungle?
17. How did Locke regain use of his legs? What caused Locke to briefly lose the use of his legs on the island?
18. Why are the others unable to conceive children?
19. Who is Jacob? Why does the video refer to Jacob in the past tense?
20. What caused the Nigerian plane to crash on the Island?
21. What is the significance of the eye close-ups?
22. Why did Juliet want Ben dead?
23. Why were they brainwashing Karl? What is the purpose of the clockwork orange video?
24. How did Locke become paralyzed?
25. Why did 'Henry' say he'd come for Locke?
26. Why are there Polar Bears on the island?
27. What is the Dharma Shark?
28. Is Alex Ben's biological daughter?
29. Why did Radzinsky make the blast door map? Did he really kill himself? Why?
30. Who was the man with the eyepatch? And where was the video feed coming from?
31. What is in the vaccine that is/was being injected into Claire?
32. What happened to the the Black Rock? How did the Black Rock get so far inland?
33. Why was Penelope looking for an electromagnetic anomoly? What will she do now that she has found it?
34. Was Libby sent by someone to give Desmond the sailboat?
35. Why were there so many survivors from the crash?
36. Why was Libby in the mental hospital? Did Libby recognise Hurley from the mental hospital?
37. What do the others mean by "good person"/"good people"?
38. Why did the smoke monster kill Eko?
39. Why did the Others want to take Kate and Sawyer?
40. Are Hurley's numbers really cursed? How?
41. Why did the entire sky light up when Desmond turned the failsafe?
42. Who was Libby's husband David? Any connection to Hurley's Dave?
43. What is the relationship between the Valenzetti numbers (or Valenzetti equation) and the Swan hatch?
44. Why were so many Dharma stations abandoned? What happened to the replacements for the Swan? If it was so important, why was it left to fend for itself?
45. Why did the Others burn Kate's clothes? Why did they burn Colleen after she died?
46. Is Rose's cancer really cured?
47. Lift up your eyes and look North - What will be found there?
48. Did Ben allow himself to get captured on purpose? If so, why?
49. Why was the Swan hatch under quarentine?
50. What happened to Jack's father's body?
51. Who removed Yemi's corpse from the Nigerian plane?
52. What were the surgeons in the medical hatch going to do to Claire?
52. Why is Alex helping the Survivors?
53. Why were the Numbers broadcasting on the transmitter? Who originally broadcasted them and why?
54. Can Jin now have children? Is he really the father?
55. What is the purpose of the Flame hatch?
56. Why was Locke so curious about the origin of Sawyer's name?
57. Why was Desmond in the Army prison?
58. What happened to the real Henry Gale and why?
59. Why did they take Michael's blood?
60. What is the cable used for they find on the beach that led them to Danielle?
61. Why did the psychic lie to Eko about being a fake? Why did he buy Claire a ticket for flight 815? What did he see?
62. Was Locke really "immaculately conceived"?
63. Are Dr. Candle/Wickman the same? Why did his name change? How did he lose his arm between videos?
64. Who spoke with Jack via the Intercom to try the door? Why was he hearing his father through the intercom?
65. Who is Brennan? What are the keys that he has?
66. Did Henry do something other than enter the code?
67. Why was the orientation film edited and why were the missing parts in the other station hidden in the bible and simply not destroyed
68. Who/what brought the girl in Australia back to life?
69. Who was Sawyer talking about when he said I love her while recovering from his infection?
70. How did the VW Van get to the middle of the jungle?
71. How did Kate's horse (or one identical to it) get on the island?
72. What has Juliet been working on with the Others? Does it have something to do with the pregnant male mouse?
73. Was Hurley's Lottery rigged?
74. Why was there a glass eye in the arrow hatch?
75. Why have so many people lost their arm (Montand, Wickman/Waxman, Ray Mullen)
76. What was the "Hurley Bird"
77. What was meant be "The computer must'nt be used for anything else". What else could the computer be used for?
78. What is the significance of the mark they put on Juliet?
79. Why was there a pile of unopened logs from the pearl in the middle of the jungle?
80. Where does the Dahrma food drop come from?
81. How did Kelvin know Desmond had arrived on the island? Is Kelvin really dead?
82. Why were there blast doors and a huge stash of guns in the Swan?
83. Jack's tattoos: "He walks amoung us, but is not one of us". What does it truly mean?
84. Why did the monster kill the pilot?
85. What happened to Locke's Helen? Did Locke take the $200,000?
86. Was Edmund's death an accident? If not, how could Mittelos have arranged such an accident?
87. What was the purpose of the Arrow hatch?
88. What was Ethan doing at Rachels, Juliet's sister?
89. Who were Adam/Eve, the bodies found by Jack in the caves?
90. What did Fenry mean by "We already got more than we bargined for from Walt" on the dock?
91. Why were the Others wearing costumes at first? If it was to fool the lostaways into thinking they were primitive, then why?
92. Where was the radio signal playing "Moonlight Serenade" coming from?
93. How did Mr.Paik know Jin & Sun were planning to run away?
94. What was in the pit Locke was being dragged into? Why was the monster trying to drag Locke into it?
95. How come Walt looks at a picture of a bird and one turns up dead and then he reads a comic with polar bears and they turn up?
96. Was someone in the Pearl hatch just before Locke entered? Was someone watching them in the Swan from there? What was the stuff we saw on the side table?
97. How did such a rare bottle of whiskey make it to the island? Is it from Widmore's stash?
98. What happened to the passageways on the blast door map? Are they still there?
99. Why were all the hairbrushes gone after the crash
100. If the Swan hatch imploded, why did the hatch door go flying out to the beach?
Excellent work, HurleysChins (whomever you may be)...Losties, talk amongst yourselves.