As you might imagine, I have purse issues on the brain. My purse was stolen a week ago, and my husband and I have spent untold hours working on all the credit card/ checking account/driver's license issues.
(And also? I have gone purse shopping, and I have a very cute one to show for my efforts. My grandmother called me as soon as she heard about the theft, her voice full of sympathy and righeous indignation. "Honey, I want to buy you a new purse. Even if it's not on sale." Those are fightin' words for the women shoppers in my family. We even went out for a Sonic Diet Coke afterwards, so my weary soul is feeling soothed.)
Now that I've had my purse stolen TWICE in eight months, I've learned a few tips I'd like to share with those of you who have not yet had my encounter with criminal dark side of humanity:
1. For the frickin'-frackin' love of Pete, do not EVER leave your purse in your car. EVER. Even if it's daylight, even if it's a good part of town, even if you're just running inside, even if your car is in your garage.
2. If you are ever tempted to leave your purse in your car, smack yourself in the head with it and read #1 again.
3. We've always had one credit card and one checking account. Not anymore, as a result of this little adventure. Now we have two of each. One credit card and checking account is for actually keeping with us in my purse and/or Hubs' wallet. It's only for daily purchases. We are setting up separate credit card/checking accounts for all our automatic fund withdrawls, and [*insert flashing lights*] WE ARE NOT CARRYING THOSE ACCOUNTS WITH US. THEY WILL BE LOCKED IN A DRAWER AT HOME. That way if this happens to us again, we won't have to cancel those "locked-up" accounts, and we won't lose a week of our lives moving all the automatic transfers over.
4. Photocopy everything in your purse, and keep it in a safe place. Driver's license, credit cards (front and back), health insurance cards, everything should be copied!. This may sound high maintenance, but I promise, if your purse is ever taken, you will weep with gratitude that you did this.
5. Did I mention you should never leave your purse in your car?
PLEASE NOTE: There has been a bit of "misinterpreting" the use of WFMW lately. If you participate, you must actually be including a HELPFUL TIP in your post. I'm trying to keep WFMW strong for all of us, so this may mean using my own discretion to delete posts that aren't in the spirit of the carnival. (And I'm only talking about a handful of incidents, so don't everyone get all paranoid!)
Was your link deleted? CLICK HERE.
Links are now closed. Join us next week!